Thursday, April 8, 2010

Reflection #1

To find research on Wicca has proven to be slightly difficult, especially through the Internet. Most of the websites provided are not professional sites (ending in .com) and the articles I find are sometimes not available any longer. The ones I have been able to open have typically involved reporting on a recent piece of legislature that is allowing or not allowing Witchcraft in their area. When I started looking for my five sources, I found a YouTube video about Wicca and I was shocked to at the comments left under the video. There’s a lot of tension in the comments left. Most are saying how badly Christians or Catholics are acting with their YouTube comments and that the Wiccans deserve respect for their choice of religion. I agree with those that say that freedom of religion is key here. I may not personally be a Wiccan and I have grown up to be skeptical of tricks, magic and witchcraft but at the same time I find them interesting and really don’t want to inflict pain or harm on them. The majority of those who seem to be Catholic appeared to keep trying to find biblical verses that put down the idea of witchcraft. One person, steelersteve36, posted a Galatians verse “Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery (witchcraft), enmity, strife…those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” After reading this I almost wish I had a YouTube account so I could point out that a lot of people are not making it to the kingdom of God by these standards. But even if they are not going to by the standards of the Bible, I really don’t think that posting biblical versus that point out the “wrong” of Wicca is going to necessarily “save” them. I’m becoming surprised that even though I am not a Wiccan and most likely will not join a different religion than the one I am already in, I am rather angry that people are trying to persuade people through YouTube to stop practicing what they believe to be a religion. As long as it is not doing any harm to themselves or others, I really don’t see why there is such a dispute against Wicca or Witchcraft.

2 comments:

  1. And it is this sort of comment that keeps many who practice rather quiet about it. I've known some to keep private about their beliefs in their families- akin to 'coming out of the closet.' In fact, I think on some pagan sites that's an option to denote how "out there" one is, as in, how many people know you practice. There are online websites, I could probably find you links if you need/want them.

    ReplyDelete