Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Reflection #6

Every week I watch one show for one hour religiously. It has become my ritual on Thursdays at 8pm to watch Bones. Last Thursday I was so excited because the Bones for the evening was about a murder of a Wiccan, so the entire show was about Wiccans. Because they are in need of viewers they of course had to point out that some covens may undress during their ceremonies, but they also had some other interesting points. Sorry if you like Bones or had wished to watch it on your own, but I'm going to spoil it. The Wiccan that was murdered was actually doing "evil deeds" and had dug up a great grandmother that was a victim of the Salem witch trials. This "witch" was very particular because she was the only witch to have been stoned. The Wiccan doing this deed dug up the Salem witch, dressed her in another woman's wedding dress and locked her away in a safe cabinet that was not destroyed when I fire broke out on the house. I was a little disappointed with the show only because of all the research I have done on Wicca. They did not show the Wiccan group favorably and in the end, the "evil Wiccans" coven were the killers. But, it was made known that the deed was not done on purpose. They had been burning incense and the particular incense they had been burning produced LSD. THIS produced hallucinations apparently and the "evil Wiccan" was apparently not being very nice. They claimed that she was cursing and shouting at them, and the Salem witch was the relative of one of the other girls in the coven. They had wanted to help her, but ended up stabbing her in the design of a pentacle. It was an interesting story, but I really wish that they would have made Wicca appear more peaceful and interesting. The next episode is, sadly, not about Wiccans but I will still watch it.

1 comment:

  1. I like Bones- I should probably watch it more often. It is sad when subcultures are showed unfavorably on television, but you know, ratings- as you said.

    ReplyDelete